Monday Jul 04, 2022
In this episode, Special Guest Dr. Alexander Chase (Western Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellow) sits down to talk to Dr. Lauren Valdis (Medical Director of Education at SWORBHP) about pediatric endotracheal intubation. Together they discuss the evidence behind the switch from uncuffed to cuffed tubes, along with some of the other recent changes to pediatric airway management. Myths are debunked, evidence is unpacked. Join us for this deep dive into pediatric airway management!
Pediatric ETT Size Equation Changes with Cuffed Tube
Resources for Pediatric Intubations Webinar:
· De Orange FA, et al. Cuffed versus uncuffed endotracheal tubes for general anaesthesia in children aged eight years and under. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 11. Art. No.: CD011954. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011954.pub2
· Eschertzhuber S, et al. Cuffed endotracheal tubes in children reduce sevoflurane and medical gas consumption and related costs. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2010 Aug;54(7):855-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-6576.2010.02261.x. Epub 2010 Jun 15. PMID: 20560884.
· Khine HH, et al. Comparison of cuffed and uncuffed endotracheal tubes in young children during general anesthesia. Anesthesiology. 1997 Mar;86(3):627-31; discussion 27A. doi: 10.1097/00000542-199703000-00015. PMID: 9066329.
· Topjian AA, et al. Pediatric Basic and Advanced Life Support Collaborators. Part 4: Pediatric Basic and Advanced Life Support: 2020 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. Circulation. 2020 Oct 20;142(16_suppl_2):S469-S523. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000901. Epub 2020 Oct 21. PMID: 33081526.
· Wampler DA. Capnography as a clincal tool. August 2011. EMSWorld. From https://www.hmpgloballearningnetwork.com/site/emsworld/article/10287447/capnography-clinical-tool
· Weiss M, et al. Comparison of cuffed and uncuffed preformed oral pediatric tracheal tubes. Paediatr Anaesth. 2006 Jul;16(7):734-42. doi: 10.1111/j.1460-9592.2006.01844.x. PMID: 16879515.